A few things you should definitely should or should not do or say before, during and after the interview process
- Do look at the company's website before the interview.
not turn up for the interview either too early or too late. Generally
between 5 and 10 minutes before the appointed time is sufficient.
- Do give your self enough time to get to the interview and compose yourself before walking into the reception.
- Do wear appropriate clothes to the interview. Generally a suit and tie or the equivalent.
- Do not take your jacket off unless you are invited to do so.
- Do stand up when the interviewer enters the room - it is rude to remain seated.
- Do not sit down until the interviewer does.
- Do be polite at all times.
- Do shake hands with a firm grip and look the person in the eye when you greet him.
- Do offer your business card to the interviewer.
not play with the interviewers business card when your receive it.
Place it face up on the desk in front of you and refer to it if
- Do not smoke directly before or during the interview.
- Do not chew gum during the interview.
- Do turn off your mobile phone for the duration of the interview.
- Do not complain too much about you present or previous company.
- Do show enthusiasm for the new company.
- Do not sound overtly ambitious.
- Do show a desire to succeed.
- Do not be overly aggressive or defensive.
- Do show confidence in yourself and be proud about what you have achieved.
- Do not answer questions with a simple yes or no - try to expand your answers.
- Do keep your answers reasonably short and to the point - no more than about 2 minutes each
- Do ask questions about the position and the company
- Do not ask about pay and conditions until at least the second interview.
- Do thank the interviewer for their time and shake their hand before leaving.